BSc Emergency Medicine (Bachelor of Science in Emergency Medicine)
The Emergency Medicine curriculum includes concepts, skills, and techniques required to carry out the basic life support activities during different types of emergency situations like cardiac emergencies, movement and transport of the critically ill, oxygen therapy, automated external defibrillation, airway maintenance, bleeding control, fracture management, prevention of acute illness, and ventilation and monitoring of patients in the casualty and emergency department until an initial visit to the Doctor. It is a core component of the medical profession and involves guidelines and steps to respond to situations like accidents, heart attack, seizures, childbirth, and fall injuries. An Emergency Medicine personnel is responsible for literally saving patient’s lives. Candidates are trained to instantly assess, diagnose, monitor, treat, and manage the emergency situation and provide immediate patient care. Skills like academic and technical skills, discipline, attention to detail, sympathy, communication, and immediate action are enhanced during this course. Candidates who graduate from the course are the first-line of the Emergency Room.
|Duration||3 Years + 6 Months Internship|
|Entrance Exam||Karnataka CET|
|Fees||Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 2,50,000 per annum|
Merit- Students looking for Merit seats can go with KEA counslling for Admission
Management- Students looking for Managment seats can go for Direct Admission
All about B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology
Have you completed your 12th ?
Are you worried about what to do after your 12th ?
Ever heard of the term B.Sc Emergency Medicine?
Read the article till the end to know more!
What is B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology?
The B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology is the 3-year degree programme that can be done after finishing the PUC/12 th or equivalent. The students who have studied the following subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology in their PUC/12th or equivalent from the recognised central or any state board across India and abroad are eligible to apply for B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology.
The B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology students are trained to administer the emergency medicines and connect the emergency medical equipment to the patients in case of emergency. The students are trained to connect the life support systems like ventilators, infusion pumps to the patients to keep them stable till the physician arrives. The B.Sc Emergency Medical students are also trained to transport critically ill patients in a stable condition to the hospitals in emergencies.
Roles of the B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology Students
The B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students are required to perform multiple tasks in a given situation. Some of the important tasks are:
- They should be well-versed with the technicalities of the emergency medical equipment
- They should be well-versed about the techniques involved in connecting the life support systems in the ambulances for the patients who are in critical condition
- They are required to connect the life support systems to the patients who have undergone major life-threatening surgeries in the hospitals
- They are responsible to adjust the life-support equipment in the intensive care units (ICU), Critical Cardiac-Care Units (CCU), Mobile ICUs etc according to the condition of the patients under the direction of the physician
- They are required to note the readings obtained from the life-support systems at regular intervals. In case of emergency, they have to inform the doctors immediately
- They are responsible to conduct CPR, First Aid in a medical emergency on the emergency victims
- They are responsible to monitor the vital organs of the patients at regular intervals and ensure that they are all stable
- They are responsible to provide post-trauma treatment to the patients who have met with the accident and should give emergency medicine to keep them stable
Skills and qualities essential for the B.Sc Emergency Medicine technology students
The B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students are required to exhibit certain characters and skills. Some of them are:
- They should be compassionate
- They should be empathetic
- They should be ready to attend unscheduled calls and ready to help
- They should be flexible with timings and should be available 24/7 for the help
- They should have excellent communication skills
- They should have excellent interpersonal skills
- They should be capable to handle the stressful situations without getting panicky
- They should have service bent of mind
- They should have an eye on detail
- They should possess excellent decision-making skills
- They should be capable to work independently
- They should be well versed with basic life-saving techniques and gadgets to save the lives
- They should be capable to handle different medical emergencies like accident victims, heart-attack cases, brain dead cases, haemorrhage cases, head injuries, drowning in water cases, suicidal cases etc
- They should perform the role of the temporary emergency doctor in case of emergencies and it is very important for saving lives.
Career Scope for B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students
The B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students are usually hired in hospitals, diagnostic centres, ambulance services, trauma care centres, accident care centres, emergency OPDs, clinics etc. Some of the roles available after B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology are:
● Emergency Medical Technician ● Critical Care Nurse ● Emergency Medical Assistant ● Critical Medical Examiner ● Trauma care assistant
The average B.Sc Emergency Medicine technologist will be earning about 4 lakhs to 8 lakhs per annum. The average B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technologist fresher will be earning about 3.5 lakhs per annum. The salary increases exponentially as the skills and experience gained during the career.
The B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students are mainly hired in hospitals and emergency ambulance services, diagnostic centres etc. They are hired in government hospitals, private hospitals, super speciality hospitals, multi-speciality hospitals, ambulance services etc. Some of the top recruiters hiring B.Sc Emergency Medical Technology students are:
- Apollo Hospitals
- Max Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals
- Narayana Hrudayalaya
- Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Aster Healthcare
- MIOT Hospitals
- Metro Hospitals
The changed lifestyle among the people has resulted in the development of new diseases and pandemics. The increased number of fatalities due to accidents have seen a rise in the last decade. This has increased the hiring of skilled professionals in the medical field. The B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students are hired in large numbers at various healthcare units. They play a crucial role in saving the lives of many by giving timely treatments for emergency victims. So, the demand is fairly high for the B.Sc Emergency Medicine Technology students. The students who have the passion to serve patients and save lives can choose to become Emergency Medicine Technicians by joining the B.Sc Emergency Medicine technology course.
Career Scope of BSc Emergency Medicine
Career opportunities are available in government and private hospitals, health care clinics, medical pathology laboratories, research laboratories, blood banks, nursing homes, and pathology laboratories. Potential career roles:
- Emergency Medicine Technician
- Clinical Research Physician
- Consultant Paediatrician
- Clinical Investigator
- Medical Affairs Advisor
- Medical Coordinator
- Quality Analyst
- Strategy Manager
- Surgery Coders
- Technology Analyst
- Flight Paramedics
- Emergency Service Administrator
- Emergency Service Supervisor
- Physician Assistant
Placements for BSc Emergency Medicine
- Ranbaxy Hospitals
- Apollo Hospitals
- Medanta Hospital
- Fortis Hospital
- Max Healthcare
- Metropolis Hospital
- AIMS Hospital
- SIMS Health Care Private Limited