Enquire Now
Enquire Now
Galaxy Educational Services logo

How to apply for Equivalency Certificate from AIU?

How to apply for Equivalency Certificate from AIU?

Last updated: 20 Jun 2020


Subscribe to our YouTube

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter


An Equivalence Certificate (EC) is mandatory for students who have studied abroad or have foreign qualifications to enable and facilitate their admission in Indian Universities. The students who have previously studied in a foreign accredited, approved, or recognized college or university need to obtain an Equivalence Certificate (EC) issued by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi. The Evaluation Division in New Delhi issues the Equivalence Certificate (EC) so that students can get admission in Indian Universities.


The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) is a national body that was formed with the objective to bring together all the universities in India on a common platform through a single administrative coordinating authority to protect the interest of the students as well as the universities in India. The main objective was to encourage higher education and promote university activities through engagement and co-operation in the field of education, culture, competitions, sports, and research. The Association of Indian Universities (AIU) is the ONLY body in India which is recognized to grant Equivalence Certificates (EC) awarded by the Foreign Universities.

The association is actively engaged in the growth and development of Higher Education. The membership includes various universities:

  • Conventional Universities
  • Open Universities
  • Deemed to be Universities
  • State Universities
  • Central Universities
  • Private Universities
  • Institutes of National Importance.


The Evaluation Division of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) is responsible to provide academic equivalence to the degrees obtained from accredited foreign Boards/universities.

Qualifications that require an Equivalence Certificate (EC) are:

  • School Level Qualifications
  • Higher Education Qualifications
  • PGDM Programmes
  • Fellow Programmes
  • Professional Examinations


Here is the list of foreign courses and programmes recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) and ensures that candidates will receive an Equivalence Certificate (EC):

  • 12 years (10 + 2) Baccalaureate Certificate of Afghanistan, France, Iraq, and Tunisia
  • 12 years (10 + 2) General Secondary Education Certificate of the Ministry of Education – Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and other Gulf countries
  • GCE/IGCSE/GCSE examinations of the approved British Examination Bodies from Singapore, Hong Kong, and Mauritius
  • High School Diploma from accredited Schools of USA
  • Intermediate/Senior Secondary/Higher Secondary examinations of the approved Boards in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal
  • 12 years (10 + 2) Secondary Stage qualification of National Examinations Board of the Ministry of Education, – Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, and Tanzania
  • 12 years (10 + 2) Secondary Stage examination conducted by various Provinces in Canada and Australia
  • GCE “Ordinary and Advanced” level examination of the Department of Education, Government of Sri Lanka
  • 12 years (10 + 2) STPM examination of Malaysia
  • 12 years (10 + 2) Secondary Stage qualification of Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Republic of Vietnam, and Yemen Arab Republic
  • “Abitur” examination of Germany
  • 12 years (10 + 2) High School Diploma awarded by the accredited American Schools/International Schools in other countries following American System of Education


An Equivalence Certificate (EC) is important because:

  • It ensures academic continuity
  • It is the documentation of a student’s educational qualifications
  • It saves students from unnecessary hassles related to compliance and eligibility
  • It helps to save time and energy during the Application Process
  • It ensures that all the credits that the students have earned in their previous academic courses are accounted
  • It ensures that students do not lose academic years in trying to make up for the certificate or degree


  • Students can fill the form available at www.aiu.ac.in
  • In case the study certificates have not been authenticated by the Indian Mission, the form can be submitted with the Original Certificates
  • If the certification has been done in Regional Languages i.e. Russian, French, Spanish, German etc., the study certificates are to be translated from the authorized translators and then authenticated from their Embassies or Indian Mission in the respective country before submission
  • The fee is $ 200 in Indian Rupees payable through DD in favour of the "Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi"
  • The documents should be sent to:
    Evaluation Division,
    Association of Indian Universities,
    AIU House, 16 Comrade Indrajit Gupta Marg (KotlaMarg),
    New Delhi 110 002


Common Documents:

  • A copy of the Offer Letter sent by the foreign university
  • A photocopy of the degree certificate duly attested
  • Academic Transcripts authenticated by the Indian Embassy in the foreign country or their Mission in India
  • Copies of the academic certificate of education
  • A copy of the transcript record of transferred hours (15 hours or above) for each institution independently
  • The original letter of the Embassy of the country issuing the qualification
  • Legal translation of the certificate if issued in any language other than Arabic or English.
  • Proof of attendance in the country of study – passport and a proof of residence (entry and exit seals)
  • Documentation on the Accreditation Status of the Institute is required for students who have studied under the US System of Education

For Grade X/XII

  • A copy of the Grade X Certificate/Diploma issued by the concerned Board/Ministry of Education
  • A copy of the Academic Transcript

For Diploma/Bachelor’s level programmes at Indian Universities

  • Study duration: 15 years (10 + 2 + 3, except Professional degrees)
  • Full-time Bachelor degree programme certificate
  • Grade 12 Certificates

For Master’s/Doctoral level programmes at Indian Universities

  • An Official Letter stating the starting date for the Master/Doctoral degrees
  • A copy of the thesis abstract and an Official Letter issued by the awarding foreign university indicating the college name and the research area and the major


Equivalency Certificate (EC) Provided:

  • If the name of the certificate issued by the foreign university for a study programme is similar to those recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), Equivalency Certificate (EC) will be provided
  • In case the eligibility criteria and course curriculum are the same as that of Indian universities, Equivalency Certificate (EC) will be provided
  • Only the institutions which are operational with the prior permission of AICTE are provided Equivalency Certificate (EC)

Equivalency Certificate (EC) Not Provided:

  • No Equivalency Certificate (EC) will be issued based on provisional results
  • Off campus degree programmes without the permission of the Ministry of Education of the concerned Government of the foreign country will not be provided Equivalency Certificate (EC)
  • Online/Distance Mode programmes will not be provided Equivalency Certificate (EC)
  • 1-Year Master Degree programmes will not be provided Equivalency Certificate (EC)
  • Diploma/Vocational programmes will not be provided Equivalency Certificate (EC)
  • If the programmes of a foreign university are offered in India, in collaboration with Indian/Academic institutions and the degree is awarded by the parent university located abroad, Equivalency Certificate (EC) will not be provided


Courses completed in a shorter duration will not be provided Equivalency Certificate (EC) EXCEPT if the foreign university furnishes a certificate proving that the candidate has completed all the requirements of graduation


An Equivalence Certificate (EC) is mandatory for students who have studied abroad or have foreign qualifications to enable and facilitate their admission in institutions and universities in India. This is mediated and promoted by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is the ONLY body in India which is recognized to grant Equivalence Certificates (EC) awarded by the Foreign Universities.

speaker_notes Discussion Forum

Start your discussion

Type your message

Recent discussions
Rajeshwari 14 hours ago

I am nepali soldier serving indian army..my daughter is in 11 class studying in Nepal...can she be eligible to appear for entrance exams in India ?


Manjula Nanjappa 2 weeks ago

Hi , My Daughter completed her 10th Standard in USA and now doing her 12 grade in Bangalore ...She is planning to attend NATA exam and they are asking for Equivalence certificate to apply...


BHARATHI T 2 weeks ago

Hi I am Bharathi from bangalore.Same situation as yours.Did you apply for equvivalence, where and how to apply. In the website AIU has mentioned about some authentication from Indian embassy or mission in India.what is it?


Kusuma kumari. R 3 weeks ago

How can we get equivalent certificate for any certificate of 12th std given by ODMSE to pu Karnataka


manjula 1 month ago

Do we have to get an equivalence certificate for Cambridge A level certificate , even if the students studied in India


surya 2 months ago

Hello, my brother was completed his Diploma in electronics and communication engineering after 10 standard. Now he wanted to study BA political science, but my UT Puducherry wasn't providing Equivalence Certificate. How can i proceed. Can anyone please suggest.


Malina Lopaying 5 months ago

I had finished 12th grade of high school and 2 years (1year of English preparation with 5.5 IELTS and another for Bachelor study) and now I approach to apply for ICCR scholarship under the field of business management in India. Now the University is asking for an equivalence certificate for admission to the university. Pleases provide for the guidance to obtain a certificate from AIU.


Chandramohan 6 months ago

My daughter studied Edexcel programme for 11th and 12th at Chennai German International School. Now she is pursuing integrated law graduation. College is asking for equivalence certificate. When we approach school they are saying student to apply. Which we are clueless. Any help or guidance appreciated .


Venkatesh 7 months ago

My daughter styuing GCSE cyllabus 11std is it equallent to 12th


Our Services

  • Career Counselling
  • Admission guidance
  • Aptitude testing
  • Personality testing
  • Application assistance
  • Updating notifications
  • Assistance for competitive exams
  • Interview training
  • Interview tips
  • Details about fees structure
  • Arranging college visits
  • Comparison of colleges
  • Direct admission under management quota