Are you not able to decide between a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Master of Surgery (MS) after your MBBS?
Are you worried about the career opportunities available for Master of Surgery (MS)?
Read this article till the end to know more
What is the Master of Surgery (MS)?
- The Master of Surgery (MS) is the 3-year post-graduate programme that can be done after the completion of the MBBS.
- The Master of Surgery (MS) specialises in surgical sciences that are associated with the human body.
- Some of the specialisations available in Master of Science (MS) are General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Paediatrics, Cardiology etc.
- The main aim of the course is to train the MBBS students on various surgical techniques and help them to develop expertise in surgical skills in their chosen specialisations.
- The MS students will be studying the advanced surgical skills and operating techniques that are related to the specialisations.
Eligibility for Master of Surgery (MS)
- The basic eligibility for the Master of Surgery (MS) is that the students should have completed their MBBS degree.
- The students have the option to choose their desired specialisations in their MS degree.
- The MBBS students should apply and qualify the NEET-PG exam to get admission to the Master of Surgery (MS) programmes.
What is the Admission Process to Master of Surgery in Bangalore?
- The students who are interested in Master of Surgery (MS) admissions in Bangalore should mandatorily clear the NEET-PG exams and undergo counselling to choose their desired colleges for merit seats.
- The medical college merit seats are allotted to the students according to their rankings and marks obtained by them in their MBBS degrees
- There are two types of counselling for the Master of Surgery (MS) courses
1. Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) Counselling
- The students who are interested to join the government medical colleges and other medical colleges affiliated to the government should undergo the counselling procedures of Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA).
- The students who intend to join for the merit seats under government quota are required to complete the counselling procedures and join for the MD/MS postgraduate programmes in their chosen colleges.
- The medical colleges under the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) are affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS).
2. Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) Counselling
- The students who are interested to join the private medical colleges and deemed universities that are affiliated to the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) are required to apply for the MCC counselling procedures.
- ‘The students should qualify the MCC counselling procedures to get admission to their desired private medical colleges or deemed universities for the Master of Surgery (MS) postgraduate programmes.
How to get direct admission to a Master of Surgery (MS) course?
- The Master of Surgery (MS) course is one of the most popular courses chosen by the MBBS students that is making some noise in the current industry.
- Since there is a huge demand for this course, the chances are high that seats may run out very fast and many students may miss the chance of joining this course due to unconventional methods like waiting.
- In order to avoid this the students can opt for Direct admission packages from Galaxy Education.
- The desired students can directly contact us to pre book your seats in your desired colleges under direct admission mode, so that you will be having the confirmed admissions even before the academic year starts.
How Galaxy Education helps with the admission process for Master of Surgery (MS) in India?
- Galaxy Education is one of the top educational advisory councils in Bangalore.
- Galaxy Education helps the students with admission process for MS in abroad also
- We are a government registered educational advisory that provides excellent admission opportunities for the students to various courses and colleges in Bangalore.
- We have successfully counselled students and have helped them join the courses according to their interests.
- We are tied up with more than master of surgery colleges in Bangalore and we are official admission partners for the top 100+ colleges in Bangalore.
- Over a legacy of 17 years, we have successfully provided admissions to more than 1,00,000 students across different colleges and have even assisted them with excellent placement opportunities.
- Our students are spread across the globe working in top positions in different top MNCs of the world.
- The team at Galaxy Education will assist the students will all the top trending courses under medical sciences
- The team at Galaxy Education helps the students to choose the right medical science courses that are in huge demand at the top colleges
- The team at Galaxy Education helps the students by providing them with the list of best MS colleges in Bangalore and assist them to choose the right college for them
- The students can expect a hassle-free admission to their chosen MS course without any hurdles with Galaxy Education
How to become Surgeon?
The MBBS students after completing their Master of Surgery(MS) can become surgeons in India. They are required to have some qualities and skills to become a successful surgeon in their chosen specialisations. Some of the skills necessary for the successful surgeon are:
- The students should have compassion and empathy towards the patients
- The students should have excellent grasping skills
- The students should have excellent eye and hands coordination
- The students should be extremely calm and should have a lot of patience
- The students should be a problem-solver by nature
- The students should have the good analytical ability
- The students should have an eye to detail
- The students should have quick decision-making skills
- The students should also have good managerial and administrative skills
- The students should have an in-depth understanding of the surgical skills and surgical techniques
Specialisations available in Master of Surgery (MS)
The Master of Surgery (MS) course in Bangalore is classified according to various specialisations. The MBBS students are free to choose their desired specialisations according to their interests.
Some of the specialisations available in Master of Surgery (MS) are
- MS in General Surgery
- MS in Cardiology
- MS in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- MS in Neurology
- MS in Orthopaedics
- MS in Nephrology
- MS in Oncology
- MS in Plastic Surgery
- MS Otorhinolaryngology-ENT
Career Scope of MS (Master of Surgery)
The MBBS students soon after the completion of their degree can choose to do Master of Surgery (MS) and specialise the surgical skills and techniques in their desired specialisations. The chosen specialisations by them decides their career path.
Some of the specialisations to choose are:
MS in General Surgery
The MS in General Surgery typically relates to the surgeries that are involved in internal parts of the human body. They are mostly related to abdominal parts of the human body. They specialise in conducting surgeries in stomach, intestine, liver, rectum etc. They are also responsible to conduct surgeries in the patients suffering from various gastrointestinal problems like appendix, hermaphrodites. They are also responsible for conducting liver transplants. etc.
MS in Cardiology
The MS in cardiology doctor’s expertise in performing cardiac surgeries in the patients. They perform open heart surgeries, heart valve surgeries, implanting pacemakers etc. They are also responsible to conduct major heart surgeries like heart transplantation, heart valves ballooning surgeries etc.
MS in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
The MS in Obstetrics & Gynaecology surgeons are mainly responsible to conduct surgeries related to female reproductive organs. They perform caesareans in delivery, they perform laparoscopic surgeries, In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) surgeries, they are also responsible to conduct surgeries related to uterus, ovaries etc.
MS in Orthopaedics
The MS in Orthopaedics surgeons perform surgeries that are related to human bones. They perform bone correction surgeries, bone marrow transplantation, they also treat the fractures by providing steel implants for the patients who met with an accident.
MS in Oncology
The MS in Oncology surgeons mainly treat the cancerous tissues and cells. They perform surgeries to remove cancerous tissues and tumours in the patients suffering from cancer. They also perform chemotherapy treatments for the cancer patients.
MS in Nephrology
The MS in Nephrology doctors will conduct surgeries related to the kidneys and urinary system. They are also responsible for removing kidney stones and cysts. They are also responsible to conduct kidney transplants and many other major surgeries related to kidneys and urinary systems.
What is the Career Scope after completing Master of Surgery (MS)?
- The Master of Surgery (MS) students are having excellent job opportunities across different sectors of the health industry.
- They are hired in government hospitals, private hospitals, super-speciality hospitals, multi-speciality hospitals, nursing homes, and polyclinics.
- They are also hired in administrative positions in government health care agencies etc.
- They can join as professors in medical colleges and get paid handsome salaries.
- If they are interested in medical research, then they can join the global research organisations.
- They can also start practising in their clinics in the communities and earn handsome money
Some of the recruiters for Master of Surgery (MS) students are:
- Medanta Health City
- Apollo Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals
- Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Aster Healthcare
- Hosmet Hospitals
- Jayadeva Institute of cardio-vascular sciences
- Wockhardt Hospitals
- Manipal Hospitals
- Narayana Hrudayalaya
- Sparsh Hospitals
What is the average Salary for a Master of Surgery (MS)?
- The average salary for the MS doctors ranges from 8 lakhs to 20 lakhs. The starting salary for the MS doctor will be around 7 lakhs per annum.
- The salary varies according to the recruiter and location.
- The MS doctors will be earning more according to the experience and skills gained in their careers.
- The MS doctors can also practice in their clinics and will be easily earning a five-digit amount.
The MS doctors are in great demand due to their skills and expertise. The MBBS students who are interested to pursue postgraduate studies can choose between Doctor of Medicine (MD) and Master of Surgery (MS).
The students who are interested in surgical techniques and surgical skills can choose to join the Master of Surgery (MS). There are different specialisations in the Master of Surgery (MS) and students can choose their desired specialisations in the master of surgery (MS).
The students with the passion for serving the patients can choose to join the Master of Surgery (MS) and serve society.