The field of public is gaining tremendous demand in the recent past. The increased awareness among the people has created new roles and responsibilities of skilled MPH students. The present article will be discussing some of the important job roles available for MPH students that they can choose soon after their course completion.
Let’s dig deeper to explore more in detail
The epidemiologists are responsible to study the patterns, causes and effects of diseases in groups of people in a community.
Role of the Epidemiologist
As an epidemiologist one will be working either in a research setting, focusing on populations as a whole or as a clinical epidemiologist, concentrating on patients. They are responsible to collect the samples of both healthy and unhealthy people and conduct studies on the same and analyse the data obtained.
Responsibilities of an Epidemiologist
As an epidemiologist one is needed to:
- Develop and implement methods and systems for acquiring, compelling synthesising extracting and reporting information
- Design statistical analysis plans, then perform and guide analysis
- Provide critical analysis and thinking advice and recommendations on issues based on accepted scientific understanding of infections and emerging diseases in the global context
- Work with specialist statistical computer software when analysing the data
- Provide statistical insight in the interpretation and discussion of study results
- Contribute to study reports, either by wiring the reports or managing others
- Communicate analysis results through presentations and publications
- Use qualitative and quantitative methods when conducting research planning and programming information for use in developing health policy
- Network with cross section specialists and global colleagues to identify where their expertise and experience can benefit or enhance your approach
- Collaborate with government agencies and other global health partners to assist in the development of positions and recommendations on key policy issues
- Support international health diplomacy strategies and activities such as planning coordination and hosting of international conferences and workshops related to diseases
- Keep updated about latest knowledge of epidemics
- The fresh MPH student will earn around 5 lakhs to 10 lakhs per annum as epidemiologist
- The senior and experienced professionals will be earning around 6 lakhs to 10 lakhs per annum
Health and Safety Advisers
The Health and Safety Advisers are required to ensure the safety in the workplace and that people follow health and safety laws and guidelines.
Role of the Health & Safety Advisers
As a Health & Safety Adviser one will be using the knowledge and skills to promote a positive health and safety culture in the communities. The health & safety advisers ensure that the people in the communities and workers comply with safety legislation and the safety policies and practices are adopted and adhered to.
Responsibilities of a Health & Safety Advisers
As a Health & Safety Advisers one is responsible to:
- Carry out risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced
- Outline safe operational procedures which identify and take into account all relevant hazards
- Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented
- Ensure that working practices are safe and comply with legislations
- Prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policies
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks
- Keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements
- Record incidents and accidents and produce statistics for managers
- Keep up to date with new legislations and maintain a working knowledge of all the Health & Safety Measures
- Produce management reports, newsletters and bulletins
- Ensure equipment is installed safety
- Manage and organise the safe disposal of hazardous substances
- Advise on a range of specialist areas like fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases
- The fresh MPH student will earn around 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum as Health & Safety Advisers
- The senior and experienced professionals will be earning around 8 lakhs to 10 lakhs per annum
The occupational hygienist is responsible to identify, assess and control health hazards in communities and workspaces
Role of an Occupational Hygienist
As an occupational hygienist one is responsible to work in a range of settings, including factories, offices and building sites. The occupational hygienists are responsible to understand how the chemical, Physical and biological agents may affect the health of the workforce and in turn the health of the business.
Responsibilities of an Occupational Hygienist
As an occupational hygienist one is needed to:
- Undertake surveys and evaluate risks to health in the workplace
- Accurately measure and sample levels of exposure, often through precise use of specialist equipment
- Record facts or details of procedures in the workplace
- Eliminate or significantly reduce risk by making organisational changes and selecting and designing relevant facilities
- Consider all options of control such as ventilation, containment and personal protective equipment and find cos-effective solutions
- Compile data, write reports and present finding to the clients
- Coordinate with a range of people, including employers, employees in the process of evaluating the workspaces
- Provide clear and accurate information of complex health and safety issues
- Train organisational staff on health issues, such as asbestos and control of substances hazardous to health regulations awareness
- Persuade company management to develop effective hazard controls when required
- Provide expert witness services
- The fresh MPH student will earn around 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs per annum as Occupational Hygienist
- The senior and experienced professionals will be earning around 8 lakhs to 12 lakhs per annum
As already mentioned in the article that there are a number of job roles available for MPH students. But the above-mentioned jobs are just tip of an iceberg. The more we explore, the more jobs are available. The MPH professionals are gaining importance in various community centric initiatives that are taken by government and other private organisations. It is mandatory for all the organisations to take up community centric initiatives under their corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities. Many organisations are in need of MPH professionals to take care of the initiatives related to community health under CSR.
The MPH professionals are responsible to execute the health initiatives like, health camps, eye check-ups, vaccination, etc under CSR on behalf of the organisations. The organisations are providing excellent salary packages and are also providing opportunities to career growth opportunities.