MSc Clinical Psychology (Master of Science in Clinical Psychology)
Psychology helps to provide a holistic outlook to the mysteries of human behavior. The course curriculum includes theoretical and practical concepts that help to research and understand the execution and working of the human mind and human behavior and apply to patients in a clinical setup. Topics included in the curriculum are personality assessment, behavior change, communication and understanding, psychopathology, psychotherapeutic techniques, clinical community psychology, and neurocognitive development. It focuses on how human beings behave differently under different circumstances. Candidates are also educated about the processing of human emotions and behavior. Skills like research, understanding, logical reasoning, decision-making, and presentation are enhanced through practical exposure included in this course.
MSc Clinical Psychology course details
|Mode of Admission||Merit /Management|
|Fee Detail||Merit Quota Seats :- Rs.50,000 to Rs.75,000|
|Management Quota Seats :- Rs.80,000 to Rs.1,35,000|
Merit- College will be inviting the Application, Interested candidates can apply once the applications are open.
Why is MSc Clinical Psychology in high demand?
After the completion of the under graduation, you may be interested to pursue your master’s in Psychology. But are you worried about the courses available in Psychology?
Here is the answer where we will be discussing one such Course - M.Sc. Clinical Psychology Are you interested to know about Clinical Psychology? Why is this course important? Read the full article to know more
What is Clinical Psychology?
Clinical Psychology is the branch of psychology which deals with providing continued and comprehensive mental and behavioural health care for individuals and families. The clinical psychologists are trained on various aspects such as; consultation to agencies and communities, education and supervision, research- based practice and many more. Clinical Psychology mainly deals with the psychoanalytic approaches to the Child or Adolescent treatment modalities. Clinical Psychology is the branch of science that deals with the theory and clinical knowledge of understanding and providing treatments for the psychologically distressed individuals. The clinical psychology course is divided into two types; Child and Adolescents.
M.Sc. Clinical Psychology is widely chosen among the students and is gaining popularity day by day in recent days. The students of clinical psychology will be studying many subtopics of psychology such as child mental health, adult mental health, learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, substance abuse, geriatrics and health psychology etc.
Who can choose M.Sc. Clinical Psychology?
M.Sc. Clinical Psychology is the most challenging field and not suited for all the students. There are some parameters that the students should possess, in order to join the M.Sc. Clinical psychology. If the students feel that they have the following capabilities then they can choose to pursue M.Sc. Psychology.
Some of the things required to pursue M.Sc. Clinical psychology are:
- The students who can carry out academic and clinical assessments of family therapy, adult health psychology, capable of assessing neuropsychological and psychological disorders in adults and children can choose to join the M.Sc. Clinical Psychology programme.
- The students should have analytical and problem-solving skills. They should be capable of having out -of the box thinking capacities to solve psychological problems.
- They should be capable of developing hypotheses and design experiments to address the questions asked by the patients.
- The students who possess varied skills such as judgement, decision-making skills, reasoning skills, ability to identify, select, organise and communicate the information clearly can join M.Sc. Clinical Psychology.
- They should have an eye to detail and should be capable of understanding the different types of work-related documents. They should be capable of providing solutions using different approaches.
Why M.Sc. Clinical Psychology is Beneficial?
Clinical Psychology is the most interesting field of study where it allows studying of different human behaviours at one go. The course itself has many benefits for the students.
Some of the benefits of Clinical Psychology are:
- The M.Sc. Clinical Psychology course provides the required qualification and licences for the professionals to work in different areas such as the medical field, mental health administration, social service sectors, educational geriatric research etc.
- The M.Sc. Clinical Psychology is beneficial for the students who are interested to pursue research. They can join M.Phil. or Ph.D. courses soon after the completion of M.Sc. Psychology.
- The students who are interested in teaching can join the colleges as assistant professors and take up teaching for the students.
- Clinical Psychology generally trains the students within four primary theoretical orientations such as psychodynamic, humanistic, cognitive-behavioural & systems or family therapy (CBT).
What is the demand for M.Sc. Clinical Psychology?
The demand for clinical psychology has increased in the last decade and continues to see the growth in the coming days. The clinical psychologists are required to solve the psychological problems of the individuals. More number of clinical psychologists are required to help the people who are in psychological distress. They are required to help the individuals who are dealing with issues like depression, mental disorders, relationship and marriage problems, family problems, job stress and addictions. The clinical psychologists are also required to provide services to the people who are aged and facing difficult times in their lives.
What's the earning potential for M.Sc. Clinical Psychology students?
The salaries for clinical psychologists are lucrative with ample job opportunities across different sectors. The average salary for the Clinical Psychologist varies from 5 lakhs to 10 lakhs per annum. The average fresher will be earning around 4 lakhs per annum. The salary varies as experience and skills gained during the career.
What are the job roles available after M.Sc. Clinical Psychology?
There are many job roles available after M.Sc. Clinical psychology students. The M.Sc. Clinical Psychology students are hired in different positions soon after the completion of the M.Sc. Clinical Psychology.
Some of the job roles available after M.Sc. Clinical Psychology are:
- Career Counsellor
- Career Employment Specialist
- Case Manager
- Child Care Worker
- Child Support Specialist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Community Relations Manager
- Human Resource Assistant
- Health Educator
- Recreation Worker
- Research Psychologist
- Social Worker
What are the companies that are hiring M.Sc. Clinical Psychology students?
The clinical psychologists can find excellent job opportunities across various sectors of the job markets. They are largely hired in mental health centres, government and private hospitals, community health centres etc. They can even start their counselling centres and work as consultants.
Some of the areas where the clinical psychologists hired are:
- Mental Health Centres
- Hospitals: Both Government and Private
- Corporate Companies
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Deaddiction Centres
- Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Career Counselling Centres
- Family Clinics
- Child Care Centres
The change in the lifestyle has given rise to many mental problems. Many types of research claim that mental problems are far more dangerous when compared to physical ones. The mental problems kill the people from inside unknowingly. So, there is a need for a specialized personal to treat such mental problems in such patients. Clinical Psychologists pay a crucial role in the society by treating such patients. The respect for Clinical Psychologists is very high, because of their noble profession. They have the relevant expertise and knowledge to treat the mental disorders of the patients.
The Clinical Psychologists can see an increase in demand in the next few years and have the potential to provide excellent job opportunities. The students who feel that they are capable of providing mental support to the patients, they can choose to become Clinical Psychologists by joining M.Sc. Psychology.
Placement of MSc Clinical Psychology
Career opportunities are available in government and private industries. Potential career roles:
- Social Psychologist
- Social Worker
- Educational and Career Counselor
- Community Worker
- Welfare Worker
- Career Counselor
- Developmental Psychologist
- Child Support Specialist
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Research Psychologist
Top Recruiters for MSc Clinical Psychology students
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences
- SPI Incubator
- Apollo Hospital
- Fortis Hospital
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)