The BA Journalism offers ample job opportunities for the students. The BA Journalism students can join in various sections like newspaper, magazine, TV channels, etc. But there are some important job roles that offer better career growth for the skilled professionals.
The present article basically tries to explain some important job roles that offer better salaries and good career growth rates.
Let’s try to discuss them in detail:
As a broadcast journalist one is responsible to find the news stories and bring them to the public quickly. They are responsible to investigate a story and broadcast it with proof.
Role of the Broadcast Journalist
As a broadcast journalist one is responsible to research, investigate and present news and current affairs content for television, radio, their aim is to present the information in a balanced, accurate and interesting way through news bulletins, documentaries and other factual programmes.
Responsibilities of a Broadcast Journalist
As a broadcast journalist one is responsible to:
- Generate ideas for stories and features and following leads from news agencies, the police, the public, press conferences and other sources
- Pitching ideas to editors and commissioners
- Researching, verifying and collating evidence and information to support a story using relevant information sources such as the internet, archives, databases, etc
- Writing scripts for bulletins, headlines and reports
- Selecting appropriate locations, pictures and sound and exercising editorial judgement on the best angle from which to approach a story
- Identifying necessary resources and deploying and managing technical crews for location shoots, including sound operators and camera crew
- Providing directional input, advising crews what to film or record
- Preparing timings for each news items and monitoring these during broadcast
- Developing and maintaining local contacts, assuming a public relations role
- Understand and comply with media law and industry codes of conduct
Salary and Emoluments
- The fresh BA Journalism students will be earning nearly around 3 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum.
- The experienced professionals will be earning around 5 lakhs to 7 lakhs per annum.
As an Editorial Assistant one is responsible to support senior staff and ensure that the news is published without any mistakes.
Role of an Editorial Assistant
As an Editorial Assistant one will be working with the senior team in a newspaper or a magazine organisation. They are responsible to look after all the aspects of administration, commissioning, planning and producing of different publications.
Responsibilities of an Editorial Assistant
As an editorial assistant one is responsible to:
- Supporting editorial staff in all activities leading to publications including acting as a personal assistant to the commissioning editors and overseeing the tasks such as issuing contracts and dealing with royalties
- Coordinating with other in-house teams, writers, photographers, printers, designers and production staff to negotiate and monitor timescales for stages in the publishing process
- Dealing with the administration of work commissioned to freelance writers, pictures researchers, photographers, stylists and illustrators
- Organising and researching projects to tight deadlines
- Obtaining rights to use materials from other publications
- Using computers for word processing desktop publishing and email
- Dealing with phone and email queries
- Writing articles and reports
- Proofing, editing and writing online content including via social media
Salary and Emoluments
- The fresh BA Journalism students will be earning nearly around 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum.
- The experience will be earning around 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs per annum.
Magazine Features Editor
As a magazine features editor, one is responsible to ensure that the features and the merit of a magazine is engaging and accurate.
Role of a Magazine feature Editor
As a magazine feature editor, one is responsible for the content and quality of a publication and ensures that stories are engaging and informative.
Responsibilities of a Magazine Editor
As a magazine editor one is needed to:
- Overseeing the layout, appearance and content of feature articles
- Generating ideas for features with writing staff
- Commissioning articles from freelance and in-house writers
- Managing writing staff and freelance writers
- Editing and requiring articles, some of which may be rejected or returned for the writer for a revision
- Overseeing the artwork, design and photography for the features section of the magazine
- Attending photoshoots
- Organising meetings with writers and artists to discuss ideas for artwork layout and features
- Negotiating payments with freelance writers
- Proofreading all the pages before going to press
Salary and Emoluments
- The fresh BA Journalism students will be earning nearly around 6 lakhs to 8 lakhs per annum.
- The experience will be earning around 8 lakhs to 10 lakhs per annum.
As a newspaper journalist one is required to write the articles for the newspapers that is based on the facts and information that is happening in the society around us.
Role of a Newspaper Journalist
As a newspaper journalist one is required to research and write stories for national, regional, international press. They report on news politics, as well as on sports, arts and culture, science and business. They also cover national and local events, entertainment and human-interest stories.
Responsibilities of a Newspaper Journalist
As a Newspaper Journalist one is responsible to:
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances
- Building contacts in many areas to maintain a flow of news, such as with the police and emergency services, local councils, community groups, health trusts, press officers from a variety of organisations and the general public
- Seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media
- Attending press conferences and asking questions
- Attending a range of events, such as council meetings, magistrates, court proceeding, football matches, talent contests
- Answering the phones on the news desk and reacting to breaking news stories
- Working closely with the news team, photographs and the editors
- Recording interviews and meetings using shorthand or technical equipment
- Producing concise and accurate copy according to the newspaper’s house style and to strict deadline- daily newspapers may have several each day
- Creating and uploading news content for the newspaper website
Salary and Emoluments
- The fresh BA Journalism students will be earning nearly around 3 lakhs to 5 lakhs per annum.
- The experience will be earning around 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum.
There are ample job opportunities for the BA Journalism students and they are easily hired in newspapers, TV channels, magazines, etc. The above mentioned are some important job roles available in the field. These roles provide better opportunities in the career growth for skilled BA journalism students.
The students with a passion to create news and write stories about the same can join the BA Journalism course and can earn a decent salary with good career growth opportunities.