The fashion industry is the most happening industry in the world. With new designs and trends being developed, the fashion industry is considered as the evergreen industry. There are ample job opportunities available in this field. The skilled professionals are usually hired in different job roles by many fashion houses. Some of the important job roles available in fashion industry for diploma in apparel design & fabrication technology are
Assistant Fashion Designers
The assistant fashion designers use their technical perspectives and creative flair to work on designs for new and original clothing. Their main aim is to create new designs that are trendy and appealing to the consumers that gives a fresh experience.
Role of an Assistant Fashion Designers
As an assistant fashion designer, one will be responsible for researching fashion trends, forecasting what will be popular with consumers and taking inspiration from the world around to create fresh and original designs.
Responsibilities of an Assistant Fashion Designer
As an assistant fashion designer, one is responsible to:
- Create or visualise an idea and produce a design by hand or using computer aided design
- Create mood boards to show to clients
- Keep up to date with emerging fashion trends as well as general trends relating to fabrics, colours and shapes
- Plan and develop ranges often based on a theme
- Work with others in the design team, such as buyers and forecasters to develop products to meet a brief
- Coordinate closely with sales, buying and production teams on an ongoing basis to ensure items suit the customer, market and price points
- Understand design from a technical perspective i.e. producing patterns and technical specifications for design
- Visit trade shows and manufactures to source, select and buy fabrics, trims, fasting and embellishments
- Adapt existing designs for mass production
- Develop a pattern cut and sew in into simple garments and supervise the creation of these, including fitting, detailing and adaptations
- Oversee production
- Negotiate with customers and suppliers
- Work with models to try out the designs and also wear them on the ramp walks and fashion shows
- Manage marketing finances and other business activities, if working on a self-employed basis
Salary & Emoluments
The fresh diploma in apparel design & fabrication technology course students will be earning around 2 lakhs to 3 lakhs per annum as assistant fashion designers. The experienced professionals will be earning around 3 lakhs to 4 lakhs per annum.
The good associate stylists use their fashion knowledge to create appealing displays and outfits, accentuating the brand they work for and delivering a visual message.
Role of an Associate Stylist
The associate stylists use their creative skills to produce visually appealing displays, photoshoots or outfits. This is a fast-changing, highly-pressurised role that would still someone that thrives on being busy, solving problems, collaborating with others and using their creative flair.
Responsibilities of an Associate Stylist
As an associate stylist one is needed to:
- Work on both sides still life and model shoots
- Assist on set during shoots including, steaming, pinning and fitting cloths or products
- Accurately follow styling guidelines
- Work collaboratively with models, photographers, studio coordinators, content managers, producers and creative directors
- Develop strong up-to-date knowledge of designers, brands and trends and tidy
- Juggle working on ad-hoc projects with maintaining your core job role
- Ensure sample stock ins are not mishandled
- Provide expert knowledge on products and styling ensembles
- Confidently merchandise products
- Communicate workflow and discuss any issues with the senior stylist
- Source and obtain cloths, products and accessories for use in shoots
- Direct make-up and hair
- Create mood boards
- Source and cast models
Salary & Emoluments
The fresh diploma in apparel design & fabrication technology course students will be earning around 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs per annum as an associate stylist. The experienced professionals will be earning around 3.5 lakhs to 4.5 lakhs per annum.
Junior Textile Designer
The junior textile designer needs to have a good eye for colours, fabrics and patterns. The junior textile designers are required to build industry contacts and build up a portfolio of work.
Role of a Junior Textile Designer
As a junior textile designer, one is required to create two-dimensional designs that can be used, often as a repeat design in the production of knit, weave and printed fabrics or textile products.
Responsibilities of a Junior Textile Designer
As a junior textile designer, one is responsible to:
- Producing sketches, designs and samples for presentation to customers
- Making up sets of sample designs
- Coordinating with clients and technical, marketing and buying staff to plan and develop designs
- Accurately interpreting and representing client ideas
- Assessing and approving completed items and production standards
- Working independently if self-employed or coordinating closely with colleagues as part of a small team
- Using specialist software and computer aided design programmes to develop range of designs
- Experimenting with colour, fabric and texture
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of new design and production techniques and textile technology
- Developing new design concepts
- Ensuring that projects are completed on time
- Visiting sites and other sources of ideas for designs
- Sourcing fabrics and other materials at trade fairs, markets and antique shops
- Attending trade shows as a delegate or as an exhibitor. This may involve representing the company with display or stand or appraising the work of competitors
- Keeping up to date and spotting fashion trends in fabric design by reading forecasts in trade magazines and using internet resources
- Developing a network of business contacts
- If self-employed managing marketing and public relations, finances and business administration and mainlining websites
Salary & Emoluments
The fresh diploma in apparel design & fabrication technology course students will be earning around 3 lakhs to 4 lakhs per annum as junior textile designers. The experienced professionals will be earning around 4 lakhs to 5 lakhs per annum.
Junior Visual Merchandiser
The junior visual merchandisers use their creativity and awareness of trends to develop, deliver and communicate visual concepts and strategies to promote retail brands.
Role of a Junior Visual Merchandiser
As a junior visual merchandiser, one is responsible to promote retail brands, products and services in-store, in catalogues or online. As a junior visual merchandiser, one may also work in fashion houses and fashion event management agencies.
Responsibilities of a Junior Visual Merchandiser
As a junior visual merchandiser, one is responsible to:
- Coordinate with teams such as buying, design and marketing to create design themes and plans, often months in advance including window and in store displays, signage and pricing concepts
- Conduct research on current and future trends in design and lifestyle and associated target market features
- Meet with business, sales managers and retail managers to discuss sales strategies
- Identify and source props, fabrics hardware and lighting
- Maintain a budget and negotiate with suppliers of visual materials
- Work with architectural features of suppliers of visual materials
- Use artistic skills or computer aided design
- Create visual merchandising packs to communicate visual guidelines including layout principles, visual dressings and signage usually applies to those based in the head office
- Visit branches and train sales teams in store about the visual merchandising techniques and concepts
- Assemble or dismantle visual displays in windows or in store
- Carry out comparison shops to maintain awareness of other retailers visual merchandising concepts
- Lead and motivate teams to complete displays to tight deadlines
- Seek feedback from colleagues and customers on the visual impact of displays and of changes implemented
Salary & Emoluments
The diploma in apparel design & fabrication technology course students will be earning around 2.5 lakhs to 3.5 lakhs per annum as a junior visual merchandiser. The experienced professionals will be earning around 3.5 lakhs to 4.5 lakhs per annum.
There is a huge demand for skilled diploma in apparel design and fabrication technology students in the fashion and textile industry. They are decently paid by different fashion houses. The students with passion towards fashion and textiles can join this course.