Recognized MS Surgery Medical Colleges in Karnataka
MS Colleges in Karnataka
The Master of Surgery (MS) is a postgraduate course in the field of medicine. The course has a duration of 3 years of theoretical teaching with 1 year of compulsory rotatory internship. There are many medical colleges in Karnataka that offer the Master of Surgery (MS) course.
The course curriculum is aimed at providing advanced academic and practical training for the medical graduates who want to broaden their understanding of medical science and research through multiple unique specializations. There are many specializations like Anatomy, Pathology, Microbiology, Anaesthesia, Pulmonary Medicine, etc. that provide a thorough understanding of medical science and provide hands-on experience about disease physiology, pathology, identification, analysis, diagnosis, and treatment. The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) students can further progress and study about diverse topics during the Master of Surgery (MS) course.
The Master of Surgery (MS) Surgery course trains Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) graduates with knowledge and skills to conduct surgeries especially during emergency situations. The course provides detailed understanding of the essential surgical skills, techniques, and validates the capability of the doctor to perform major and minor surgeries on the human body. Candidates are trained on theoretical and practical concepts to become experienced and qualified General Surgeons.
Skills like analytical reasoning, logical thinking, decision-making, and research are enhanced through seminars, internships, dissertations, and projects included in the Master of Surgery (MS) Surgery course.
General Surgeons treat a wide variety of health conditions including:
- Childhood injuries
- Skin conditions
- Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract
- Breast conditions
- Kidney, Pancreas and Liver procedures
- Organ Transplant and Replacement
- Trauma to the Abdomen and Thorax
- Patients with Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Accidents and Trauma injuries
- Pinhole Surgery
Why choose MS Surgery?
General Surgeons are in high demand in hospitals and nursing centres in India and abroad. This is because:
- They develop excellent demonstrative, practical, and mechanical skills during the course.
- Excellent dexterity and hand-coordination help in precise diagnosis, treatment, and surgery.
- They have excellent decision-making and leadership skills.
- It is the best opportunity to apply medical knowledge and practical skills – surgeons spend 50% of their time in surgeries and 50% in outpatient consultations.
- They have continuous career development opportunities as they will be learning new practical skills and techniques with every surgery that they perform
- They have an opportunity to meet patients from different walks of life.
- They are highly paid healthcare practitioners in the medical field with abundant job opportunities
- They are considered as ‘saviours’ because they uphold human life
MS Surgery Colleges in Karnataka
Karnataka is one of the best destinations for aspirants seeking admission in Master of Surgery (MS) Surgery courses. There are many reputed medical colleges in Karnataka that are famous because of their quality education in India as well as abroad, experienced faculty, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and excellent facilities.
Some these Institutions which provide Master of Surgery (MS) Surgery are:
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal
- Father Muller Medical College (FMMC), Mangalore
- Mysore Medical College (MMC), Mysore
- Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore
- JJM Medical College (JJMMC), Davanagere
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre (VIMS), Bangalore
- JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mangalore
- Nitte University, Mangalore
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belagavi
- KLE University, Belgaum
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), Bangalore
- Belgaum Institute of Medical Sciences (BIMS), Belgaum
- Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences (AIMS), Mysore
- KVG Medical College and Hospital, Sulla
- Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences (HIMS), Hassan
- Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli
- Mandya Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Centre (BMCRC), Bangalore
- M. S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Manipal University, Manipal
- A. J. Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Mangalore
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Bangalore
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College (BRAMC), Bangalore
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore
- Navodaya Medical College, Raichur
- S. S. Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Davanagere
- Sri Siddhartha Medical College and Research Centre, Tumkur
- Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences, Shimoga
- Sri Siddhartha University, Tumkur
Career Scope of MS Surgery
The increase in the number of accident and casualty cases has created the demand for General Surgeons. The surgical procedure requires a close collaboration with other medical specialists and a holistic approach to recovery and treatment.
There is huge demand for Master of Surgery (MS) Surgeons in the medical field. They can join as Surgical Specialists in hospitals and nursing homes. Initially, they can work in a team under experienced Surgeons and as they gain experience and skills, they can become Lead Surgeons and lead a team of surgeons during surgery.
In the academic field, Surgeons can join as Assistant Professors and conduct classes in medical colleges. They can become the Head of the Surgical Departments and sometimes even get promoted to higher administrative positions like Principal, Vice President, Dean etc.
Placements for MS Surgery
A skilled and qualified Surgeon can have diverse job profiles:
Lead Surgeon: A Lead Surgeon is responsible to perform surgeries, diagnose, and treat problems. They usually work in accident and trauma care centres in hospitals and largely spend their time in operation theatres. They can choose diverse roles including Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon, Breast Surgeon, and Endocrine Surgeon.
Average Salary: A Lead Surgeon can earn approximately Rs. 8 LPA to 15 LPA
Transplant Surgeon: A Transplant Surgeon is responsible to conduct transplantation of body parts such as liver, kidney, pancreas, heart, bone marrow etc. They are also responsible to provide a range of aids to correct immunologic problems, transplant rejection, and hypersensitivity.
Average Salary: A Transplant Surgeon can earn approximately Rs. 15 LPA to 25 LPA
Assistant Surgeon: An Assistant Surgeon is responsible to assist the Lead Surgeon to perform surgeries, diagnose, and treat problems. They usually work in accident and trauma care centres in hospitals and largely spend their time in operation theatres. They can support the Lead Surgeon in diverse roles including Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon, Breast Surgeon, and Endocrine Surgeon.
Average Salary: An Assistant Surgeon can earn approximately Rs. 8 LPA to 10 LPA