PG MEDICAL COURSE ELIGIBILITY IN KARNATAKA
Medical PG Courses in Karnataka
Medical postgraduate courses are trending among medical graduates. Students want to pursue these courses as they provide them an opportunity for specialization, to develop new skills, enhance practical knowledge, and guarantee better job opportunities. There are many popular PG courses in Karnataka like:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Post Graduate Diploma - Medical Science
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
After a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree in India or an equivalent degree from abroad, graduates can either stop studying and become General Physicians, or study further and take up a specialization course. This specialization course increases the value of the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree and adds more weightage to the candidate’s professional profile. Patients will always prefer to visit or consult a doctor who is more experienced, thus, it is advisable to take up specialization courses like Medical PG courses.
Karnataka has several colleges that offer the best kind of infrastructure and facilities for Medical PG courses. These colleges are recognized by the Government, recognized by the MCI, and are affiliated to recognized and reputed universities. These colleges are popular because they have:
- Basic infrastructure
- Library with a good collection of books, reference books, publications, periodicals, current research journals, and e-newsletters
- Spacious and furnished Lecture Halls with audio and video provision
- Experienced and qualified teaching staff
- Advanced laboratory and research facilities for studying medical specimens
- Extra-curricular campus activities
How to choose the right Medical PG College for admission in Karnataka?
If you are interested in going for any Medical PG course, then the first thing that you have to do is to search for the best college for Medical PG courses. In Karnataka, there are many Medical PG colleges that offer the best courses and facilities for candidates who want admission in these colleges.
Before admission, you need to follow a checklist. Some of the tips to follow before selecting the Medical PG colleges are:
- Check about the course
- Check for Accreditations and Recognitions of the institution
- Check for Placement Statistics of previous years
- Previous year’s passing percentage
- Prepare the list of colleges and universities
- Get suggestions from educational advisors
- Short-list the college according to your suitable budget
Medical PG Admission in Karnataka
Getting admission into a medical college is usually based on the candidate’s marks and ranking in the public exams along with the entrance exams such as the NEET in India. For Medical PG courses and various medical specializations, the candidate’s academic performance in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree is also evaluated.
Admission for Medical PG courses varies from different colleges. The basic eligibility criteria for admission are NEET PG eligibility, graduation in MBBS, compulsory internship, and permanent medical registration.
Eligibility Criteria for Medical PG Courses in Karnataka
- The candidate must have a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree.
- The candidate should not be more than 48 years of age.
- The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree must be issued by a valid university affiliated to Medical Council of India.
- The minimum percentage of marks that candidates must secure in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is 50%.
- Special Categories – candidates under PWD Category require a minimum percentage of 45% while candidates under SC/ST/OBC Category require a minimum percentage of 40% in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree
- The candidate should have completed the rotating compulsory internship of one year in an institution recognised by the Medical Council of India.
- The candidate should have obtained permanent registration of any State Medical Council.
- The candidate must have appeared for the NEET-PG entrance exams.
- The candidate needs to qualify NEET-PG entrance exam with good marks.
- A candidate from abroad or an NRI may also apply for admission into Medical PG colleges in Karnataka with an equivalent graduation degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- The candidates who already have a PG medical degree are not eligible for applying for another PG medical course.
- The candidates who have obtained their graduation from colleges outside India must have qualified in the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE – Screening Test).
Candidates seeking admission to Medical PG Courses should mandatorily qualify NEET-PG Exam and the NEET qualified candidates are required to undergo two types of counselling:
- KEA Counselling – candidates seeking admission to medical colleges affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) should undergo the counselling conducted by the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA).
- MCC Counselling – candidates seeking admission to government colleges and deemed universities should undergo counselling conducted by the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC).
For admission to Medical PG colleges in Karnataka, the candidate has to obtain eligibility certificate from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences before he can take any admission. The candidate has to attach the following documents with the application:
- The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree certificate with the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences stamp
- Marksheet of all the examinations that have taken place during the entire Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) course
- Provisional Degree Certificate
- Certificate certifying that the college has been approved by the MCI
- Internship Certificate that testifies its completion or Provisional Internship Completion Certificate
- Registration Certificate by State/Central Medical Council or Provisional Registration Certificate
- KEA PGET-2020 Registration Form
- NEET PG 2020 Admit Card & Score Card issued by NBE
- 2nd PUC or 12th Standard (equivalent) Marks Card
- SSLC or 10th Standard (equivalent) Marks Card
- Address Proof - PAN Card/Driving License/Voter ID/Passport/Aadhaar Card/Ration Card
- Caste Certificate
- Photo Identity - 2 to 3 passport size photographs