PG Medical Course and Specializations in Karnataka
PG Medical Courses in Karnataka
Postgraduate Medical courses are trending among medical graduates. Students want to pursue these courses as they provide them an opportunity for specialization, to develop new skills, enhance practical knowledge, and guarantee better job opportunities. There are many popular PG medical courses in Karnataka like:
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Post Graduate Diploma - Medical Science
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
After a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree in India or an equivalent degree from abroad, graduates can either stop studying and become General Physicians, or study further and take up a specialization course. This specialization course increases the value of the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree and adds more weightage to the candidate’s professional profile. Patients will always prefer to visit or consult a doctor who is more experienced, thus, it is advisable to take up specialization courses like Medical PG courses.
A Postgraduate Medical Degree is a big academic achievement that promises recognition and career success. Get to know all about PG medical courses, how to get admission, which specializations to choose, and many more.
Eligibility Criteria for Medical PG Courses in Karnataka
- The candidate must have a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree.
- The candidate should not be more than 48 years of age.
- The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree must be issued by a valid university affiliated to Medical Council of India.
- The minimum percentage of marks that candidates must secure in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is 50%.
- Special Categories – candidates under PWD Category require a minimum percentage of 45% while candidates under SC/ST/OBC Category require a minimum percentage of 40% in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree
- The candidate should have completed the rotating compulsory internship of one year in an institution recognised by the Medical Council of India.
- The candidate should have obtained permanent registration of any State Medical Council.
- The candidate must have appeared for the NEET-PG entrance exams.
- The candidate needs to qualify NEET-PG entrance exam with good marks.
- A candidate from abroad or an NRI may also apply for admission into Medical PG colleges in Karnataka with an equivalent graduation degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
- The candidates who already have a PG medical degree are not eligible for applying for another PG medical course.
- The candidates who have obtained their graduation from colleges outside India must have qualified in the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE – Screening Test).
Candidates seeking admission to Medical PG Courses should mandatorily qualify NEET-PG Exam and the NEET qualified candidates are required to undergo two types of counselling:
- KEA Counselling – candidates seeking admission to medical colleges affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) should undergo the counselling conducted by the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA).
- MCC Counselling – candidates seeking admission to government colleges and deemed universities should undergo counselling conducted by the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC).
PG Medical Specializations in Karnataka
There are multiple diverse specializations that can be taken up after MBBS and these can be grouped into three main categories:
- Clinical – these specializations include face-to-face interaction with all the patients
- Non-clinical – these specializations do not require face-to-face interaction with all the patients
- Para Clinical – these specializations are basic subjects and do not require face-to-face interaction with all the patients
The different specializations included in Medical PG Courses after MBBS in Karnataka are:
|Clinical Specializations||Non-clinical Specializations||Para Clinical Specializations||Additional Specializations|