GATE Exam

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or commonly known as GATE exam is conducted by the IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) and IIS (Indian Institute of Science). This computer-based standardized test was started in the year 1984. Students who wish to pursue their post-graduation course in any of the leading professional colleges across the country can take up this entrance examination.

Syllabus

The syllabus for the entrance examination depends on your specialization. The questions will be based on the bachelor’s degree program.

Question Paper Pattern

The question paper is set for 100 marks, and will have 65 questions. The General Aptitude section will have 10 questions with a weightage of 15 marks. The question papers will have codes, which determine the subject. So, the question paper pattern will differ based on its code. Question papers for engineering streams will have 15% for general aptitude, 15% for engineering math, and the remaining 70% for the subject. The question papers for the other subjects will have 15% for general aptitude and remaining 85% for the core subject.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Students should have successfully completed their graduation program in order to apply for the GATE entrance examination.
  • Students in their final year of study can also apply for the exam
  • This entrance exam is open for students from India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and UAE. The students should have completed the relevant under graduation course to apply for the GATE entrance exam.

GATE Cut-off

When you apply for the GATE exam, you will come across a term called GATE cutoff. It is the minimum mark that the student has to get in order to clear the exam. The cutoff mark is not set and varies each year depending on various factors such as number of students appearing for the examination and the difficulty level of the question paper. Students can seek admission in the top professional colleges across the country based on their cut-off mark.